Friday, August 8, 2008

Final Thoughts and Reflections Upon Returning Home

When I said yes to the Lord regarding short term service last October, I had no idea that I was in for the ride of my life. At times it seemed as though the devil was in the details, and that my plans might come unraveled, but learning to exercise faith through those difficulties became the first lesson in a new level of trust. Yes, I made it to Chile, but in retrospect, I don't think what happened there was so much what the Lord did through me as what He did in me. The beginnings remind me of Psalm 126:1, “When the Lord restored again the captivity of Babylon, we were like them that dream . . .” For sometime I has desired to make such a trip, but was held captive by the spirit of “no-can-do.” As I began to embrace my freedom in Christ – freedom to be all He wanted me to be, I began to climb to new heights. and the joy of freedom in service filled my heart. So, what happened in Chile?

My primary purpose in going was to establish a computerized catalog for the library at SCA (Santiago Christian Academy). Despite initial challenges, I was able to get around 20% of the existing library done and to train others to to continue the work once I left. Also in connection, with the library, I provided library story time for the elementary classes, as the teachers desired. The Lord provided opportunity for me to teach elementary chapel twice. It was a joy so be involved with children at this international Christian school. On the weekends, I experienced Children's church Chilean style, which doesn't differ all that much from North American children's church. In these experiences, I saw that regardless of their location, language or ethnicity, children need to be taught and that they have a right to hear the Word of God at their level of understanding.

In addition to the missionaries and other short termers, I met some incredible people. Clara is a national Chilean. She and her husband serve there as support staff. Clara showed me the ropes of getting my hot coffee (instant) every morning. Additionally, she keeps the school building s sparkling clean. It was a joy to meet her every morning and hear, “Como estas?” I usually replied “tengo mucho frio,” because I was always cold. Tia Lucy is the wife of a national pastor and a lady in her seventies who prepares hot lunches and sells them at her kiosk between the two school buildings. Her food is better than any school food that I have had. Then, the Lord brought a special friend into my life, Ann Garcia. She is a Canadian married to a Bolivian, who works in copper. All three of their children attend the academy. Incidentally, both she and her husband were saved through the ministry of an Alliance Church in Canada, Vancouver, I think. A little girl, Isabel, daughter of one the missionary families has mild cerebral palsy. She recently got braces for her legs to aid in her walking, She was happy with them and told me all about them. She was thrilled, because now she “could walk better” Her parents have several other children, all added to the family by adoption, some trans-racial. I observed as the Wrights were ending their ministry, turning it over to national leadership. It seemed analogous to birthing a baby and watching it grow from infancy to being able to stand and survive alone. I watched MK's as they said goodbye to their friends going their separate ways, knowing that electronic contact is never quite the same. These last two gave new meaning to the song “Friends” by Michael W. Smith. On a lighter note, I must mention the two resident dogs, Rufus and Contuplin who stuck near me when loose. Of course, the treats I smuggled them most likely had something to do with their proximity.


As I was out and about certain sites in the city, I felt provocation much as Paul did when in Athens, we saw “the city given over to idols.” As I walked through Plaza de Armas, I witnessed the occultism, as tarot card readers, outside the Catholic Cathedral, sought to give people a measure of hope that they had not found within the church. Within the cathedral itself, I saw a statue of Mary that each Catholic church apparently has. The tombs beneath held the remains of various saints. The Mariolatry that permeates Chilean religion is heartbreaking as Mary is exalted and Christ is diminished. This is evidenced by the the statues at San Cristobal, to say nothing of the twisting of Scripture as it is Mary who steps on the head of the serpent in the statue residing there, contrary to the teaching of Scripture in Genesis 3:15.

Despite these gross errors, I witnessed God at work through the ABWE field team and at SCA. If you will indulge a prayer request. SCA has recently become an international school, and a young man of the Buddhist religion has recently come. He was admitted, because when Duane, the principal, was going over the doctrinal statement, when they got to key statements about Jesus, he said, 'I need that.” Duane told him that if he sent his son, they would teach him who in turn could impart the knowledge to his father. They are yet unsaved. Please pray for the salvation of the Wang family in Chile. I also saw the Faculdad, the Bible institute for the training of national leader and those who work so diligently there. I witnessed the church planters as they diligently work to establish paradigms of Biblical ministry. Then, I saw the work with deaf, an often neglected segment of Chilean society. And in my own heart was reignited a passion for the cause of Christ worldwide. I say with the Psalmist in Psalm 126:3, “The Lord has done great things for us and we are glad” (NKJV).

Perhaps one day in God's timing and leading, I can return to Chile and SCA where I definitely left a piece of my heart

No comments: