Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Arrival

  • I arrived in Chile amidst a very cold downpour, and my initial thoughts were those of Dorothy when she landed in Oz, “Well, Toto, we’re certainly not in Kansas anymore.” The overnight flight meant that I had basically fallen asleep in the US and had awakened in Chile. It was close to 90 degrees when I left and I disembarked to 40 degree. It seemed as though the flight attendants had spent the night going up and down the aisles offering us water, and, of course, I was awake each time. I was a bit slow disembarking and did not have a clue where to go. I finally got in the wrong line and attempted to clear immigration before I paid my entrance fee. They weren’t exactly happy with me. I quickly learned that an appearance of fright and vulnerability will earn sympathy and help. I paid the fee, got my passport stamped and moved onto baggage claim and from there to customs. I think it’s easier to get into Chile than to get out of the US. Bob and Becky were there to meet me as soon as I cleared customs and we proceeded to SCA.
    Despite being tired, I really wanted to see the place. Therefore, after we had carried all my stuff to the apartment, we looked around the compound. It is walled and carefully manned by a guard and a less than ferocious watch dog. The library is in desperate need of help and my initial response was one of being overwhelmed. After a quick perusal of the campus and library, I was took my first shopping trip in Chile. The stores are super-clean and the workers ultimately polite. After a short nap, I attended a baby shower at a small tea room, where we partook of Once, the Chilean evening meal.
    Thursday morning fortified with a good nights sleep and breakfast, I decided to tackle the library. While Bob was finishing setting up the computer program, I devoted my time to sorting boxes of books that had been donated. I also read a story to first and second graders and promised a visit by Douglas the Dragon to other classes next week. Thursday afternoon, I had solicited help in the form of students serving detention. It’s busy, but I am happy and content. Friday was only a half-day, because there was an ABWE ladies’ retreat which I was privileged to attend.
    I really like Chile, despite being cold. The apartments are not heated; we use gas space heaters and tons of blankets on our beds since it is not safe to run the heaters while we are sleeping. We also dress in many layers to ward off feelings of being cold. I am learning contentment in the will of God despite the differences, knowing that he has called me here for this time. I am certain that the feelings of unease and uncertainty will fade as I bond with the people and my environment. I rest in the fact that God has called me here and that He is good all the time.

No comments: