Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Random thoughts and Observations Take 5

I think Chile is somewhat like Narnia .., It's always winter and never Christmas. Then Christmas comes with the dawning of Spring.

Many Chileans live behind gates and/or in gated communities. Most of the gated communities even have guards.

Most Chilean businesses have guard dogs that appear relatively harmless. They seem to be more interested in escaping the cold and wet than in protecting the property. As one  passes by on the street the noses of the dogs are visible from under the gate. If one gets too close, s/he is met with a barrage of barking. 

The music in the Chilean churches I have attended is very praiseworthy. I keep picking up the words Christ and light. I don't understand much more, but I sense that the cadence of the music itself worships. There is tasteful and discrete outward expression. Overall, I am comfortable, I just wish I understood more.

Chilean children don't like yellow Starbursts. I don't blame them. Neither do I.

Over 8,000,000 people live in Santiago and the outlying areas. That's about half the population of Chile. The task of reaching them is overwhelming. Many of the churches reach out to the lower and middle classes, where there is some spiritual hunger. The upper class and wealthy see little need of the God of the Bible since they are so enmeshed in Catholicism and in the system of the Catholic Church. Pray for the people of Chile.

No comments: