Sunday, June 15, 2008

Random Thoughts and Observations About Life in Chile Take 3

You shouldn’t talk to Chilean dogs in English, even though they just bark “in dog” They don’t have clue what you’re saying. Maybe, it’s southern English that’s the barrier. A friend told me that they train dogs in Spanish, German, and English, which ever command is shorter. Food and petting transcend all languages.

Dogs are like children. If you feed them, they’ll follow you. I just chased the two that I fed one puppy treat through my apartment and had to call for reinforcements.

Missionaries help each other, especially the clueless short-termers. It’s like we’re all in this together and we’re family.

Chilean Spanish is actually its own dialect, somewhat analogous to Pidgin English. No wonder no one understands me when I speak Spanish.

I’ve been told that it’s not a good idea to make eye-contact with strangers in Chile.

One may dab at his/her nose in public, but s/he should never blow it. That goes for sniffing as well.

Police cars and ambulances always drive with their lights on. Drivers only have to pull over if they have their sirens going.

Grocery shopping when you don’t know the language is a maze of confusion. Many brands are named in English, but the rest is in Spanish. I tried to buy produce and did not understand I was to weigh it. At the check out counter I couldn’t buy it.

The Latin concept of “manana” while keeping anything from starting on time definitely affords more patience with waiting and inconveniences. The less hurried people are, the
rude they are unless they’re driving. Noting rudeness, the guards here request that we get out of cars and ring the buzzer. They say honking the horn is rude.

Chilean Italian restaurants are better than Olive Garden.

The standard greeting is church is a hug and a kiss. Actually you hug, brush the cheek of the other person and kiss the air. Women exchange this greeting with women; men exchange this greeting with women, but men never exchange this greeting with other men.

Church is a lot more meaningful and enjoyable if you are involved in something, even if you can’t communicate very well. I was able to help in children’s church this morning. The only word I needed was “Donde” as I inquired of a child where to post stickers on the “feliz dia papa” card he made for his father.

The mighty Andes reflect the glory of God. At times they are severely obscured by the smog of the city, as they are today. In the same way, sin obscures the glory of God in our lives.

No comments: